Hypercalcaemic Crisis — A Case Study of Three Unusual Cases of Iatrogenic Vitamin D and Calcium I n t o x i c a t i o n Bhakti Desai*, Anand Gokani**, Alpana Shukla***, PS Tampi**** A b s t r a c t Severe hypercalcaemia is potentially life-threatening complication of several diseases. Most commonly it is caused by cancers that enhance bone resorption. Though rare, Vitamin D intoxi- cat
Microsoft word - royce, melanie bio 12-2-09 vsProgram Director/Principal Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Willman, Cheryl L. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
Melanie E. Royce, MD, PhD
Co-Director, Protocol Review and Monitoring
eRA COMMONS USER NAME (credential, e.g., agency login) mroyce Member, Women’s Cancers Research Program
UNM Associate Professor of Medicine
EDUCATION/TRAINING (Begin with baccalaureate or other initial professional education, such as nursing, and include postdoctoral training.) University of the Phillipines at Los Banos, Laguna, Phillipines University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio A. Professional Experience / Honors /Memberships
02/04-present Associate Professor, Division of Hem/Onc, Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX Spirit of Hope Award, Nancy Floyd Haworth Foundation for Breast Cancer People’s Caring Awards Honors, People Living Though Cancer (PLTC) Anita Salas Health Professional Award, Anita Salas Memorial Fund for Breast and Cervical Cancer Albuquerque’s Top Physicians, Albuquerque The Magazine America’s Top Physicians, Consumer Research Council of America Pharmacia-Upjohn Award for Outstanding Fellow, Medical Oncology, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Outstanding Achievement in Research Award, Division of Medicine, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Grant, Training for Academic Oncology/Hematology C.D. Howe Award for Clinical Excellence, Medical Oncology, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Upjohn Achievement Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine NIH Predoctoral Fellowship, Environmental Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis Training Grant
Member, NCI Breast Cancer Steering Committee (BCSC), MB-CCOP category, March 2009 to present Member, NCI Subcommittee H, July 2006 to present. Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG): member, Breast Committee DOD Grant reviewer, CDMRP Breast Cancer Research Program, Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics – 4; Concept, Idea and Synergistic grant applications, August, 2006 – present. NCI Reviewer: CCOP and MB-CCOP Grant applications, 2004 State
• New Mexico Department of Health Medical Advisory Board member, Breast and Cervical Cancer Program,
Biographical Sketch Format Page
Program Director/Principal Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Willman, Cheryl L. • New Mexico Cancer Council and Executive Council, September 2004 – present.
B. Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications (in chronological order).
1. Vinh-Hung V, Verschraegen C, Promish DI, Cserni G, Van de Steene J, Tai P, Vlastos G, Voordeckers M, Storme G, Royce M. Ratios of involved nodes in early breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 6(6):R680-8,
2. Vinh-Hung V, Verschraegen C, Royce M, Van de Steene J, Tai P, Cserni G, Storme G, Vlastos G. Breast-
conserving surgery with or without radiotherapy: Pooled-analysis for risks of ipsilateral breast tumor
recurrence and mortality - Response. Kunkler I, Williams L, Prescott R, King C. Re: Breast-conserving
surgery with or without radiotherapy: pooled-analysis for risks of ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence and
mortality. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004 Aug 18; 96(16):1255-1257.
3. M. Ayers, W.F. Symmans , J. Stec, K. Hess, M. Lecocke, J. Metivier, A. Damokosh, E. Clark, D. Booser, N. Ibrahim, V. Valero, M. Royce, B. Arun, G. Whitman, J. Ross, G.N. Hortobagyi, and L. Pusztai.
Identification of Gene Expression Profiles that Predict Complete Pathologic Response to Preoperative
Paclitaxel/FAC Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 22:2284-2293, 2004.
4. Tai P, Cserni G, Van De Steene J, Vlastos G, Voordeckers M, Royce M, Lee SJ, Vinh-Hung V, Storme G.
Modeling the Effect of Age in T1-2 Breast Cancer using the SEER Database. BMC Cancer. 5:130, 2005.
5. Patricia Tai, Edward Yu, Gábor Cserni, Georges Vlastos, Melanie Royce, Ian Kunkler, Vincent Vinh-Hung.
Minimum follow-up time required for the estimation of statistical cure of the cancer patients: verification
using data from 42 cancer sites in the SEER database. BMC Cancer. 5:48, 2005.
6. Verschraegen C, Vinh-Hung V, Cserni G, Gordon R, Royce ME, Vlastos G, Tai P, Storme G. Modeling the
effect of tumor size in early breast cancer . Ann Surg. Feb; 241(2):309-318, 2005.
7. M. Houman Fekrazad, Anne Marie Wallace, Claire Verschraegen, Vincent Vinh-Hung, Eva Zavadova and Melanie Royce. Role of Radiotherapy in Patients with Early Breast Cancer. US Oncological Disease
8. Bethany Kolb, Anne Marie Wallace, Deidre Hill and Melanie Royce. Disparities in Cancer Care Among
Racial and Ethnic Minorities. Oncology 20(10):1256-1261, 2006.
9. Wendy A. Woodward, Vincent Vinh-Hung, Naoto Ueno, Yee Chung Cheng, Melanie Royce, Patricia Tai,
Georges Vlastos, Anne Marie Wallace, Gabriel N. Hortobagyi and Yago Nieto. Prognostic Value of Nodal
Ratios in Node-Positive Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 24:2910-2916, 2006.
10. Promish D, Tai P, Royce M, Vlastos G, Storme G. Effects of radiotherapy and surgery for early breast
cancer. Lancet. 2006 May 20; 367(9523):1652; author reply 1654-55.
11. Rebekah C Allen, Anne Marie Wallace and Melanie Royce. Marinol-Induced Gynecomastia: A Case
Report. Am J Med. 2007 120(10):e1.
12. Marriott DA, Russell J, Grebosky J, Wallace AM, Joste N, Royce ME. Idiopathic Granulomatous Lobular
Mastitis Masquerading as a Breast Abscess and Breast Carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007 (5):564-565.
13. Max Rabinowitz, Aroop Mangalik, Fa-Chyi Lee, Carla Melanie Royce, Ian Rabinowitz. Phase II Study of Carboplatin, Vinorelbine and Capecitabine in Patients
with Metastatic Breast Cancer. Internet Journal of Oncology vol. 4, no.1, August 2007.
14. Stefan Glück, Michael Andria, Melanie Royce. XeNA: Xeloda plus docetaxel, with or without trastuzumab,
as preoperative therapy for early breast cancer, Int J Med Sci. 2008;5(6):341-346. 15. Angela Meisner, M. Houman Fekrazad and Melanie Royce. Breast Disease: Benign and Malignant. Med
Clin N Am 2008 (92):1115–1141.
16. Justin W Wray, Elizabeth Williamson, Melanie Royce, Montaser Shaheen, Brian D Beck, Suk-Hee Lee,
Jac A Nickoloff, Robert Hromas. Metnase Mediates Resistance to Adriamycin in Breast Cancer Cells.
PLoS ONE. 2009;4(4):e5323.
17. Vincent Vinh-Hung, Nam P Nguyen, Wolfgang Janni, Pauline Truong, Georges Vlastos, Gabor Cserni, Melanie Royce, Guy Storme, Donald Promish, Sabine Balmer-Majno, Helena M Verkooijen, Patricia Tai,
Bruno Cutuli, Elisabetta Rapiti, Guy Soete, Laurence Thomas, Daniel Betticher, Wendy A Woodward ,
Christine Bouchardy. The effect of adjuvant radiation therapy on mortality differs according to primary
tumor location in women with node-positive breast cancer. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie.
18. Sayar H, Shen,Z, Lee SJ, Royce M, Rabinowitz I, Lee F, Smith H, Eberhardt S, Maestas A, Lu H,
Verschraegen C. Phase I study of capecitabine in combination with cisplatin and irinotecan in patients with
advanced solid malignancies. Invest New Drugs 2009 (27): 153-158.
Continuation Format Page
Program Director/Principal Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Willman, Cheryl L. 19. Hugo Arias-Pulido, Melanie Royce, Yun Gong, Nancy Joste, Lesley Lomo, Sang-Joon Lee, Claire
Verschraegen, Juanita Lara, Eric Prossnitz, Massimo Cristofanilli. GPR30 and estrogen receptor
expression: New insights into hormone dependence of inflammatory breast cancer", Breast Cancer Res &
Treatment (epub Nov 10, 2009)
C. Research Support
NCI-ASCO Cancer Foundation Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award 2009: A Multi-disciplinary approach to identify novel epidemiological, diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic avenues to improve breast cancer care in Hispanic women. 1RC1EB010617-01 NIH, NIBIB, NCI Volumetric mapping of Breast Cancer Biomarkers using high-speed MR Spectroscopic Imaging. Nancy Floyd Haworth Foundation Augmenting Mammography Among BCC Women in New Mexico W81XWH-09-1-0105, DoD Idea Grant: (PI: Dr. Yubin Miao) 1/1/09-12/31/12 DoD Novel Radiolabeled Peptides Targeting Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Receptors for Non-Invasive Breast Cancer Imaging UNM FIG’s grant (PI: Dr. Stefan Posse, Role: Sub-Investigator) UNM High Speed MR Spectroscopic Imaging of Choline and Lipids in Breast Cancer American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Investment (Royce) ACS Improving Compliance Among Underserved Breast Cancer Patients at UNM Cancer Center NMSS Inflammatory Breast Cancer Collaborative Project ACS
The New Mexico Women’s Health Mobile Unit
P30CA118100-05 (PI: Willman, Role: Chair, Protocol Review and Monitoring System) 9/26/05-8/31/10
University of New Mexico Cancer Center Support Grant
This Cancer Center Support Grant provides NCI support for administration, programs, shared resources,
clinical trials support, and developmental funds for the UNM NCI-Designated Cancer Center.
Carl C. Anderson Sr. & Mary Jo Anderson Foundation Grant (PI: Royce)
Carl C. Anderson Sr. & Mary Jo Anderson Foundation The Role of GPR 30 in Breast Cancer Prognosis and Response to Endocrine Therapy 06UNM/01.0032 Continuation Format Page
Program Director/Principal Investigator (Last, First, Middle): Willman, Cheryl L. New Mexico Department of Health Breast Cancer Environmental Study/ Expanded Breast Cancer Registry and Tissue Repository
Submitted Grants (with fundable score):
1RO1CA132877-01A2 (Role: Sub-Investigator, PI: Dr. Diedre Hill)
Towards a Transdisciplinary Understanding of Breast Cancer Survival Disparities
Continuation Format Page
List of covered drugs as of April 1, 2011 U pdated list can be found at canadapost.ca/drug plan using the password prescription. You may also obtain a list from Great-West Life at 1-866-716-1313. he Employer reserves the right to change the content of the drug plan list without notice. ( Note: not all strengths and formulations of the drugs listed below are covered.) nortriptyline, paroxeti